Welcome friends

Glad you came. Hope you enjoy your visit.

Saturday, March 28, 2009

my latest project


I have had such bad luck with starting plants inside in years past. In August I attended a workshop with Carol on gardening at George Wythe College. So between that workshop and another series of lessons I have been looking at online, here is how I've improved my luck with planting inside. First I had to find some fluorescent lights. With Bus' expertise this was accomplished thanks to craigs list. Turns out you don't need special grow lights.


The lights have to be 2-4 inches away from the plants. These plants were planted the last Monday in February.

The key ingredient seems to be lots of water and liquid sea kelp. Who knew? Couldn't find that anywhere here in Utah Valley so I found a source in Maine. I have enough to plant 38 acres...
Since I have had such terrible luck in the past, I planted 3 or 4 whole packages of tomato seeds not expecting much. I have over 60 tomato plants that look like they will make it. Memo to self--next year plan on a better yield...Hope some of you will open your homes to juicy ripe tomatoes in August.
Newspaper pots are a cheap alternative to peat pots. Wrap a folded length of newspaper around a tomato sauce can with the bottom cut off then stuff the left-over paper into the end of the can. Fill with potting soil, transplant and water with solution containing liquid sea kelp. Voila!

3 comments:

drb42 said...

I am impressed with your garden! If you have any extra tomatoes, I would be glad to come eat them! :) I have to admit that I am not good with plants! When I am in peoples' homes, I can never tell if they have real plants or fake plants. If I can tear a leaf from the plant, then it is probably real! I don't suggest ripping people's plants, I don't think they would like it. I only did it once maybe twice!

Jancisco said...

Oh fun! When will they be ready to plant outside? In May??!??

Good job on the grow lights too.

Now, how about some pictures of the new room?

Bus Gillespie said...

Are there any sea monkeys in that kelp juice???
I hope by May we can plant them and that the deer (I saw two wondering around in 4 inches of snow this morning at 4:30) have found other places to eat. If not maybe we'll eat them!


Blog Archive